Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Play the Lottery

I was absolutely transfixed by the lottery last night. My favorite part was watching nutjob Tommy Heinsohn's facial reaction when the Celtics' envelope was chosen at the #5 slot. At that spot, they are likely going to have to take a chance on a foreign dude, or an athlete with "tremendous upside" like Brandan Wright from UNC or Rush from Kansas.
I was also happy that the Pacers, Bucks, or Grizzle didn't get the top 2 spots for a variety of reasons, especially the fact that the Bucks, Celtics and Grizzle went into full-on tank mode late in the year.
Spurs may sweep the series. The Jazz simply aren't good enough perimeter defenders to slow Parker and Ginobili. No surprise that the Jazz (Giricek and Harpring) and Cavs (Pavlovic and Snow) have perimeter players that the other team can take advantage of, which will be both team's downfalls. Utah needs to address that position somehow if they will ever get the best out of Boozer-AK-Millsap-Deron Williams.
That's where the Pistons are so good--Tey Tey and Billups are great defenders at their positions, they can go to the zone, and Lindsay can come in and defend perimeter guys as well. Rip is, well, Rip, but at least he is someone that the other team has to account for on offense and he can make up for his below average defense by knocking down jumpers.
Busily packing for my trip home this June...lots of reffing, a pair of weddings and other very enjoyable things to do and see. Postings will become rather random, and the podcasting will happen when I get back to Cincy. Looking forward to coming home for awhile!

Today's Insane Person Award...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2880144

Elijah Dukes, Devil Ray OF, reportedly broke into his girlfriend's middle school classroom last month and threatened to kill her.
My favorite quote..."I'm just going to play ball, that's it," Dukes told the newspaper. "I've got to go. I've got a video game to finish."
I've used this quote before on the phone, just never with a national sportswriter in answering whether or not I threated to kill a middle school teacher.

3 comments:

Flem said...

I'm a big fan of that line. I'm also a fan of not threatening death on ex-girlfirends.

Anonymous said...

No one sent a WNBA representative to the lottery. Rather disappointing. Almost as disappointing as the "small talk" with the team reps, or that I spent over 20 minutes of my life watching the lottery, but they don't even show the drawing. Do they use ping pong balls? Raffle tickets? Draw straws? Random number generator? Help me out here, any of it would be better than watching the big-eared deputy commissioner try opening the envelopes and try to come up with 14 different synonyms for "the pick goes to"....brutal.

Anonymous said...

And can you give the 'insane person of the day' award a cool nickname? I'm thinking something semi-vulgar and totally ridiculous, a la 'the Boner of the Day', or the like.