Sunday, August 19, 2007

Me and TV

I'm going to start writing posts about TV shows that I've seen or enjoy. I don't watch a whole lot of TV that isn't sports-related, but the girl and I have a few shows that are must-views during the week.
The first that I'll talk about (being engaged and all) is Bridezillas. Shown on the WE network. BZ is now in its 4th season of recording the goings-on of insane women.
BZ gives a brief background on the relationship, and then during an episode, goes back and forth between 2 relationships prior to the wedding day. The less interesting couples/uninteresting women get 1 episode, while the more entertaining couples get up to 3 episodes.
Somehow they continually manage to compile a Murderers' Row of women who are completely self-obsessed with how they can make everyone around them succumb to their demands in the week leading up to their wedding day. Most of the humor usually comes from the brides' preparation for the wedding and what they view as "essential", as well as the obvious embarrassing moments during the bachelorette party and other stressful moments leading up to the wedding.
I think that Kristen enjoys watching it for the train wreck factor. She enjoys doing what many girls do--pick apart the decisions surrounding the wedding as well as the lack of good judgment displayed by the brides. She also will let me know that if she acts like many of the women, that I can kick her in the butt and/or smash her over the head with a blunt object to snap her back to the real world.
Personally, I actually enjoy viewing many episodes because the women involved are off the deep end. The grooms are usually nothing more than a necessary accessory, an incredibly small sliver of their dream rather than the person that they want to share the special day with. Mostly, parents are a checkbook, friends are dress-fillers, and in-laws are portrayed as evil incarnate.
There are women on the show that I simply cannot stand because their reality is completely unwatchable. It angers me to see some of these people and what they think they "need" to make the day happen.
The show has been a Sunday evening staple for us over the past few years and at times makes me laugh out loud. On a 1-10 scale, I give the show a solid 6.5. It's smartly narrated and edited, and the grooms mostly come off as the logical one in the relationship, which I obviously enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beebes, this is Trevor. I just found this site while randomly googling peoples name. I just got done reading all the blogs. Not bad. Keep writing them, it gives me something to read, and occasionally brings me back to good ol days in R-TOWN. Well keep in touch and congrats on the engagement.

Flem said...

You watch WE? DDIIISSSAAAPPPPOOOIINNNTTTIINNNGGG.

Brian said...

Yeah, I catch BZ and 48 Hours-Mystery...that's it. No Kate & Allie or Dharma & Greg for this dude.

Flem said...

Yeah, but it's still WE. I will have to underhand toss one (1) golf ball at your crotchal region this weekend during the draft and/or Wildcat Open.